When it’s time to move out, there are many things to do besides packing! Read our MOVE OUT GUIDE to help make your move be more efficient and to maximize your security return.
- The expectations of your vacancy is that the property will be left in the same move-in ready condition as when you moved in. This requires a DEEP CLEAN by you or a cleaning company. In order to facilitate this, you will need to spend many hours cleaning and completing your obligations per your lease and move out procedures. If you are hiring a cleaning company to deep clean the property for you, please make sure to provide them our cleaning checklist or have them email us with any questions. If they do not clean to our standards, charges will still be charged to you. Ultimately, it is up to you to make sure they clean to our standards.
- Due to the Covid-19 virus, we will no longer be conducting any in-person pre-inspections. Additionally, tenants will not be allowed to be present inside the property during the final inspection because of the government issued social distancing requirements. For these reasons, it is even more important to follow the guidelines, checklists, and helpful videos we have provided to ensure you get the highest return of your security deposit. We will be sending a “pre-inspection” app to you in the days before your lease end date for you to complete to help you in the process of final checkout. Please be sure to check your email every few days for these helpful tips forth coming.
CLEANING VIDEOS (coming mid April 2020!) -check back soon
One Month Before Your Move-Out Day
- Start cleaning the big items. Kitchens, bathrooms and lawn care (if applicable) require the most time. Starting in those areas weeks in advance will help minimize the time you spend cleaning when the final move-out time comes. The average 3-4 bedroom home takes 40-60 hours of cleaning to usually get it to our move-in ready standards. 1-2 bedroom apartments can be done in 15-20 hours typically. Don’t expect to start cleaning the night before your 9 AM move-out and be done in time.
- Review the MOVE OUT GUIDE which includes a cleaning checklist and items needed to complete the job properly.
- Review the Cleaning Videos below (coming mid April 2020)
1 Week Before:
- Mail – please provide the post office with a forwarding address at usps.com.
- Cable TV/Internet – Do not forget to return your TV/Internet equipment to the service providers unless it came with your property.
- Review the email notification you were sent with your final inspection walk through time. It is not required that you are there for the final inspection, but you are welcome to do so if you’d like. (please see email being sent in April for 2020 move outs in regards to Corvid-19 procedures)
- Review the move out/cleaning lists/videos on our website for helpful reminders to maximize your security return.
- You should have all your personal belongs out of the property 1-2 days in advance so that you can deep clean properly.
- Complete the Security Return Bank Form – this is so we can deposit any security return you have forthcoming.
2 Days Before:
- Utilities – you can discontinue service to your utilities the day AFTER your move out. If your move out/end of lease is Friday, Saturday, Sunday or a holiday – you will need to turn your utilities off on the next business day. DO NOT DISCONNECT UTILITIES EARLY or you will be charged an early disconnect fee. DO NOT schedule the service to be shut off the day of your move-out or before.
- Remove your personal belongings to allow time to deep clean.
- Review our Move Out Cleaning Check List and cleaning videos (coming April 2020).
- Vacuum thoroughly- TWICE. The carpets will be professionally cleaned after you move out as per your lease, so please do not steam clean/shampoo yourself. But, please remove all debris and vacuum thoroughly or additional charges may apply.
- Dispose of non-household furniture at a proper location. Do not use the dumpster to discard any large items or furniture. Please bring all furniture/large items and recycling to Waste Management located at 910 W. Baraga Ave. in Marquette.
Replace these items before you leave to avoid extra charges:
- Burned out light bulbs – if ceilings are too high to replace, leave new bulbs on the kitchen counter. All bulbs must be of similar type and L.E.D.
- Batteries (smoke alarms) – Missing or dead smoke/carbon monoxide detector batteries. If ceilings are too high to replace, leave the new batteries on the kitchen counter.
- Batteries (thermostats) – All thermostats that require batteries and are under 50% at the time of vacancy are required to be changed by tenants.
- Oven drip pans – that are size appropriate to the appliance.
- Furnace Filter(s) – if you have a forced air furnace, and have access to it, you are required to replace the furnace filter at time of vacancy.
- Your lease ends at 9 AM on the last day of your lease. Please leave all parking passes, mailbox keys, storage keys, garage door openers, and a forwarding address on the kitchen counter when you vacate. You will be charged for any items not returned by the final inspection.
- APRIL 2020 – Due to the Covid-19 virus, we will no longer be conducting any in-person pre-inspections. Additionally, tenants will not be allowed to be present inside the property during the final inspection because of the government issued social distancing requirements. For these reasons, it is even more important to follow the guidelines, checklists, and helpful videos we have provided to ensure you get the highest return of your security deposit. We will be sending a “pre-inspection” app to you in the days before your lease end date for you to complete to help you in the process of final checkout. Please be sure to check your email every few days for these helpful tips forth coming.
After Moving Out:
- Please leave ONE forward address so we can mail your security deposit refund check to you. It will be up to you to split the security return with your roommates accordingly. We will send it 30 days after your lease has expired (including any extensions) provided you have completed a Security Return Bank Form so that we can deposit the payment.
- In the case of multiple tenants, deposits will be mailed to one forwarding address of the tenant representative.
- Deposit refunds will be mailed to the rental address in absence of any forwarding address.
Keys, Remotes, Parking Passes:
- All keys, parking passes and remotes MUST be left on counter by Final Inspection time or you will be charged $75/key or the cost to rekey/new locks whichever is greater.
- If you plan to mail the keys, make sure they are SECURE in the envelope and it is mailed well in advance to be received by our office by end of day of your lease expiration date.
- A Marquette Rentals representative will compare all the items you are returning to the original check out sheet. You may be charged for any discrepancies such as keys that don’t match the originals. If we do not receive the original keys and any copies made, you will be charged to change the locks.
How move out charges are determined
- There are 5 main categories: Paint, Flooring, Cleaning, Maintenance and Exterior Care.
- At final inspection, we will document all issues found.
- You will be responsible for any damages that was not documented on the move-in checklist.
- You will be charged for any cleaning needed
- You will be responsible for any exterior care as stated in your lease. This could include lawn care, snow removal, raking, debris pickup, etc.
- You will be charged for any other obligations you did not fulfill in accordance with your lease terms.
- Security Deposit return worksheets will be emailed to you 30 days after your vacancy. Any refunds will be sent to you provided you have completed the Security Return Bank Form for automatic deposit.
Deposit return disputes
- If you disagree with a charge against your security deposit, please complete Security Deposit Dispute Form and tell us exactly which item(s) you are disputing so we can review the move out inspection notes and all other related documents. Be sure to send any evidence to back up your dispute. Policy states we will not talk to any co-signers or tenants in regards to disputes as all must be in writing. They must be handled through the completed Security Deposit Dispute form. Please note, these determined by the owner of the property, not the property management company.
- Holdover Charges: if you remain in your unit for any reason beyond the time/date your Lease expires or fail to return keys by the same date / time, you will be charged the cost of the daily rent for each day in the holdover period and if necessary the cost of re-keying the lock(s) and making new keys according to the terms of your lease.
- Deposit Returns Involving Multiple Roommates: Any security to be returned will be mailed to the tenant representative as stated on the Security Return Bank Form.
- House Utilities/Obligations: make sure to pay all of your garbage, water/sewer, electricity, and gas bills are paid through the date the keys are returned. Outstanding utility balances (water/sewer and garbage) will be deducted from the security deposit plus an additional administration of fee. Please leave the Garbage/Recycling bins empty on the day of move out. If you are responsible for lawn care, all the beds must be weeded and clear of debris, bushes trimmed and grass cut, and yard waste removed as described in your Lease.