When it’s time to move out, there are a lot of things to do besides packing! Read our Move Out Packet to help make your move more efficient and to maximize your security return.
One Month Ahead
- Start cleaning the big items. Kitchens, bathrooms and lawn care (if applicable) require the most time. Starting in those areas weeks in advance will help minimize the time you spend cleaning when the final move-out time comes. The average 3-4 bedroom home takes 40-60 hours of cleaning to usually get it to our standards. 1-2 bedroom apartments can be done in 10-20 hours typically. Don’t expect to stat cleaning the night before your 9 AM move-out and expect to the done in time. Try to have all your personal items removed at least 1-2 days prior to the move out date in order to leave the unit on time and clean.
1 Week Before:
- Mail – please provide the post office with a forwarding address at usps.com.
- Cable TV/Internet – Do not forget to return your TV/Internet equipment to the services providers unless it came with your property.
- Review the email notification you were sent with your final inspection walk through time. It is not required that you are there for the final inspection, but you are welcome to do so if you’d like.
- Review the move out/cleaning lists/videos on our website for helpful reminders to maximize your security return.
2 Days Before:
- Utilities – you can discontinue service to your utilities the day AFTER your move out. DO NOT schedule the service to be shut off the day of your move-out or before. Remove your personal belongings to allow time to deep clean.
- Review our Move Out Packet and cleaning videos online.
- Vacuum thoroughly. The carpets will be professionally cleaned after you move out as per your lease, so please do not steam clean/shampoo yourself. But, please remove all debris and vacuum thoroughly or additional charges may apply.
- Dispose of non-household furniture at a proper location. Do not use the dumpster to discard any large items or furniture.
Replace these items before you leave to avoid extra charges:
- Burned out light bulbs – if ceilings are too high to replace, leave new bulbs on the kitchen counter. All bulbs must be of similar type and L.E.D.
- Batteries – Missing or dead smoke/carbon monoxide detector batteries. If ceilings are too high to replace, leave the new batteries on the kitchen counter.
- Oven drip pans – that are size appropriate to the appliance.
- Your lease ends at 9 AM on the last day of your lease. Please leave all parking passes, mailbox keys, storage keys, garage door openers, etc. on the kitchen counter when you vacate. You will be charged for any items not returned by the final inspection. If you would like to be present for the final inspection, please be back at the property at the final inspection time you were emailed. Please note, due to delays from other move-outs, the times given are approximate and may vary by 1-3 hours either way. We recommend arriving an hour ahead of schedule and giving yourself enough time in case of delays. We also recommend having as many tenants there as possible.
After Moving Out:
- Please also leave ONE forward address so we can mail your security deposit refund check to you. We will sent it 30 days after your lease has expired (including any extensions) provided you have provided us with a forwarding address.
- In the case of multiple tenants, deposits will be mailed to one forwarding address of the tenant representative.
- Deposit refunds will be mailed to the rental address in absence of any forwarding address which is also why you need to put a forwarding address at the post office.
About the keys
- All keys MUST be left on counter by Final Inspection time or you will be charged $75/key or the cost to rekey/new locks.
- If you plan to mail the keys, make sure they are SECURE in the envelope and it is mailed well in advance to be received by our office by end of day of your lease expiration date.
- A Marquette Rentals representative will compare all the items you are returning to the original check out sheet. You may be charged for any discrepancies such as keys that don’t match the originals. If we do not receive the original keys and any copies made, you will be charged to change the locks.
How move out charges are determined
- There are 4 main categories: Paint, Flooring, Cleaning, Maintenance and Exterior Care.
- At final inspection, we will document all cleaning, painting, carpet and damage issues found in the unit and compare them to the condition checklist from move-in.
- You will be responsible for any damages or painting AND are not documented on the move-in checklist.
- You will be charged for any cleaning needed
- You will be responsible for any exterior care as stated in your lease. This could include lawn care, snow removal, raking, debris pickup, etc.
- Security Deposit refunds are mailed from our office 30 days from receipt of the unit keys provided a forward address has been supplied.
Deposit return disputes
- If you disagree with a charge against your security deposit, please complete this form and tell us exactly which item(s) you are disputing so we can review the move out inspection notes and all other related documents. Be sure to send any evidence to back up your dispute. Policy states we will not talk to any co-signers or tenants in regards to disputes. They must be handled through the completed Security Deposit Dispute form.
- Holdover Charges: if you remain in your unit for any reason beyond the date your Lease expires or fail to return keys by the same date / time, you will be charged the cost of the daily rent for each day in the holdover period and if necessary the cost of re-keying the lock(s) and making new keys according to the terms of your lease.
- Deposit Returns Involving Multiple Roommates: the deposit check will be mailed to the tenant representative as stated on the lease documents.
- House Utilities: make sure to pay all of your garbage, water/sewer, electricity, and gas bills are paid through the date the keys are returned. Outstanding utility balances (water/sewer and garbage) will be deducted from the security deposit plus an additional administration of fee. Please leave the Garbage/Recycling bins empty on the day of move out. If you are responsible for lawn care, all the beds must be weeded and clear of debris, bushes trimmed and grass cut, and yard waste removed as described in your Lease.